Obsessed Forum

The voice of the focused, the organized, and the obsessed

Cars and Garage Obsession Garage PLom's garage overhaul.

This topic contains 1 reply, has 1 voice, and was last updated by PLom 4 months ago.

• Author
    PLom
    PLom
    Participant
    • 3 Total Posts

All Matt’s posts/blogs/videos on his garage upgrades has served as a great inspiration and guide. Thanks for that Matt – you motivated me to do something I’ve been wanting to do, but didn’t really know how to start.

My wife and I live in a condo with a garage of ~430 sq ft. We only have one car at the moment, I’m semi-retired and work from home, so it works out fine.

Inspired by Matt, I went down the path of SwissTrax flooring, as well as Saber cabinets. High quality stuff at a reasonable price. As others have posted you can’t go wrong with these products.

I went with LED integrated overhead lighting, our ceiling is “humpty-dumpty” and needs a combination of surface mount and suspension to achieve a uniform height of the lights. We also had essentially no existing fixtures and I did not want to mess with buying cheap fixtures, ripping out the ballast and then buying fluorescent or LED T8 lights. I have been very pleased with these 4′ long integrated T8 LED fixtures from petersenparts.com, good quality and reasonable price at $30 unit. (2750 lm, 5000K, CRI 85, Cree SMD 2835 chips). I got 16 of these for a total of 44000 lm which result in ~100 lm/sq ft. I also bought LED strips for under-cabinet lighting from superbrightleds.com (3 x 2′ SMD 2835 LED 6000K 1317 lm/ft, CRI 90 => total of 7902lm which is also dimmable), very pleased with those as well – great lights for detailed work.

I got rid of our 20 year old chain-driven center mount garage door opener and went with the crankshaft Liftmaster 8500 which mounts on the wall, super quite, and removes the old unsightly chain system.

I’m a sucker for German tools and got a compact Brockhaus-Heuer vise – it came with some very useful jaw protectors for various types of work.

Let me know of there are any questions.

Cheers, -Peter

PLom
    PLom
    Participant
    • 3 Total Posts

My picture don’t seem to appear – trying again.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Subscribe to OG