Obsessed Forum

The voice of the focused, the organized, and the obsessed

Cars and Garage Obsession Garage My 3 Car Garage Remodel

This topic contains 8 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by fmljk 3 months ago.

• Author
    Tonypgst
    tonypgst
    Participant
    • 7 Total Posts
    • Saint Johns, FL

Here goes my story and an explanation of what I’m calling “Phase 1” of my garage progression.

I’ve always have had a passion for self driven projects, learning all I can about things I’m interested in, and taking things to the extreme.  I enjoy doing these things myself and I have a big DIY type of mindset.  My wife thinks I’m nuts, all or nothing most of the time.  I believe I can learn to do anything, especially things I have a profound interest in pursuing.  What you can find online with the right amount of research helps to keep my DIY interest and accomplishments rolling along.  I’ve done so with a wide variety projects and hobbies to include: wood flooring and ceramic tile installation, cabinet building, custom woodworking, major kitchen remodels, well head drilling and pump installs, custom car stereo builds, custom fiberglass speaker enclosures (big in the 90s), custom car modifications and aftermarket part installs encountering just about everything possible (even engine and tranny work), building custom computers and enclosures, home theater builds, custom carbon fiber parts, painting (both car, home, and personal artwork), custom built bicycles, electronics design and builds, computerized and animated Christmas lighting (from scratch controllers and synchronizations – http://www.vimeo.com/palombolights), and just about everything and anything car related.  Phew!

Of course, this also includes car detailing and my garage obsession.  I do well at visualizing an end product and I research, research, research to ensure I can apply my vision as intended.  This is what lead me to this point, researching for a project I promised myself as we moved into a newer home in 2014.  My priorities were to finish the main house remodel, my wife’s custom office, and other family oriented home needs before I focused on my wonky 3 car garage.  I say wonky 3 car at that time because it was really a 2 car with a single bay converted to a bedroom.  It was equipped with carpet, fully enclosed walls hiding any semblance of a garage door, entry door, ceiling fans, and even an ugly wallpaper border at the ceiling.  I envisioned a place I could work on our cars, spending hours dialing them in, and a general space my friends and I could enjoy just hanging out together.  I was tired of seeing the garage as a storage area where I happened to park my cars.  I wanted the space to compliment my cars and give me a place to clear my mind, let go of the stresses of life.  My space, my garage.

In 2015, I started my research and garage remodeling plan to do just that.  You can imagine the initial feeling of being overwhelmed on how to go about this.  What design would fit, colors, flooring options, cabinets, tool storage, etc.?  Google became my friend again and lead me to two specific places, Garage Journal and BimmerPost forums.  The BMW reference came as I was actually researching a possible future M car purchase.  Garage Journal, obviously, with its relationship to examples shared by others who had either accomplished a garage remodel or were planning one.  Of course, this resulted in stumbling upon Matt’s forum entries on both sites.  I was in awe at the detail he put into the information he offered in tracking his builds.  His passion and obsession over these things was evident from the beginning.  I could relate to Matt in many ways, just as everyone here has most likely done so.  One thing lead to another; from forum posts, following him on YouTube, and eventually his formation of the Facebook OG group.  Eventually with enough research under my belt and multiple designs drawn up, I had a plan.

Where to start, I went all in!  Well, as much as my budget would allow.  My wife thought I was crazy, but I only spent about 1/4 of what I could have.  I placed my order for flooring and cabinets, lighting, and paint around Thanksgiving of 2015.  All in all, about $5K.  This forced me to get started with demo and construction.  The biggest challenges were getting rid of all the junk we had collected and stored in the garage and the demo of the converted bedroom.  Wall and carpet removal, reinstallation of the single bay garage door, and building an enclosure to hide the water heater were of the larger projects.  In the end I cleared everything out, painted, installed the flooring, organized as best I could, hung the new lighting fixtures, mounted the fans, and even put up a spare TV and home stereo setup.  I call this Phase 1 due to the simple fact that my list is still large with additional wants.  From better cabinets, tools, lighting, A/C, a lift, and clearing out clutter, I have much left to do in the future.  I completed my phase 1 at the beginning of 2016, a great start to my garage, my space.  Well, ok, I’m nice enough to let my wife park in the 2-car spot.

Enjoy the pictures, some are random, some show the progression to what we have today.

• This topic was modified 4 months ago by tonypgst.

Tonypgst
    tonypgst
    Participant
    • 7 Total Posts
    • Saint Johns, FL

• This reply was modified 4 months ago by tonypgst.

Tonypgst
    tonypgst
    Participant
    • 7 Total Posts
    • Saint Johns, FL

• This reply was modified 4 months ago by tonypgst.

Tonypgst
    tonypgst
    Participant
    • 7 Total Posts
    • Saint Johns, FL

Tonypgst
    tonypgst
    Participant
    • 7 Total Posts
    • Saint Johns, FL

Tonypgst
    tonypgst
    Participant
    • 7 Total Posts
    • Saint Johns, FL

Reserved for future pictures and updates.

DavidJWarEagle
    DavidJWarEagle
    Participant
    • 3 Total Posts
    • Birmingham, AL

Tony,

Your garage looks very nice. I’m trying to get a game plan on what to do with mine and I was wondering what you did with your lawn tools and table saw. I am an avid DIYer also and I have many pieces of wood on other things that I need to store for future use. I have a three car garage with a full basement to the back of the garage spaces, so I have room. I’m just not sure yet what’s going to be the best way to store and organize my tools and parts. What do you think? I’m planning on making a post of my own garage similar to what you have done so that it will be easier to share the layout. Maybe it would be better to make a YouTube video, we’ll see. First I have to finish de-cluttering so that it’s somewhat presentable. 🙂

Also, what type of bike mounts are those on the walls?

DavidJWarEagle

http://www.youtube.com/davidjwareagle

Tonypgst
    tonypgst
    Participant
    • 7 Total Posts
    • Saint Johns, FL

David,

The bike racks are by SteadyRack.  For the tools, I no longer need a table saw.  All my other tools for wood working are in the large cabinets.  After our home remodel, I seldom need any of them.  For the yard tools, they hang on the wall near the bikes and the lawn mower folds up and into the same corner.  I’m about to put a lean-too shed in the back yard to house the lawn tools and some beach/pool chairs.  My goal is to have all non “my” stuff out of the garage eventually, except for the kids bikes.

Fmljk
    fmljk
    Participant
    • 2 Total Posts
    • El Dorado Hills, CA

WOW! what a difference. that’s awesome.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Subscribe to OG