Obsessed Forum

The voice of the focused, the organized, and the obsessed

Anything Detailing Interior Leather Cleaner + Conditioner on a steering wheel – still matte?

This topic contains 2 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by Anonymous 3 months ago.

• Author
    MTBFL1
    MTBFL1
    Participant
    • 1 Total Posts
    • Fort Lauderdale

Hi everyone,
    I am a complete detailing beginner, and am still experimenting with products to see what works and what doesn’t for me. I have a MK6 VW GTI, and after about a month of use, my wheel starts to become shiny. Each month, I clean my wheel using Lexol’s leather cleaner, which restores the finish almost completely back to the wheel’s original matte look (I’m at 45k miles, it can only do so much). I have heard many people, including Matt, use their leather conditioner after. I have some in my garage, but I am a little timid to use it. Will the conditioner maintain the clean, matte look, or will it add a little bit of a glossy sheen to the wheel once it is applied?

Thanks guys!

2011 Volkswagen GTI |APR Stage II|Carbonio|USP catted downpipe|Michelin Pilot Super Sports|DeAutokey LED Interior|Depo tails|OEM Base Bars+Thule bike setup|
    Tommy
    Tommy
    Participant
    • 2 Total Posts
    • Norway

Hi,

I have no experience with the mentioned Lexol products, but on newer leathers what you want is something to protect the clear top coat on the leather getting dirty and miscolouring. I can vouch for Colourlock Shield and Swissvax Leather Glaze. They will not alter the appearance or add gloss to the leather. What you see after cleaning it is what you get.

Anonymous
    • 1 Total Posts

I’ve tried a number of conditioners on the leather steering wheel after cleaning but they have all left some sort of alteration to the true matte texture/color.  Now, I just clean the steering wheel every time I wipe down the interior (every week or odd week) with a diluted form of CarPro Inside cleaner.  I cannot stand any shine to my steering wheel leather.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Subscribe to OG