Obsessed Forum

The voice of the focused, the organized, and the obsessed

Personal Stuff Your Life Story It all Started in High School…

This topic contains 7 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by SLOWER 4 months ago.

• Author
    Acoustix
    Acoustix
    Participant
    • 18 Total Posts

Well I hope you’re ready for a novel, this is my story.

As a kid, I was surrounded by pretty much anything with a motor. My father was on a little bit of the extreme side, Him being an accountant he somehow ended up being one of the “not so boring” ones lol.  He always had me doing something whether it would be me on a tractor or driving around the yard in his car. I never really thought much of it until high school hit, that’s when my obsession started.

It started with a Sled, a Snowmobile… whatever you guys want to call them, I had a 2003 skidoo GSX. it was a 600 all the power I needed for the trails up here in the north. but it had these mirrors on it, god they were awful and I just had to change them and that was the first mistake, Mirrors, handle bars, Bar risers, Suspension, I pretty much modified the whole sled and I didn’t do it because it needed improvement, but because I just wanted it to be different.

When turned 17 I was given my first car… It was a 2005 Volkswagen Golf and it was my mom’s old car, I didn’t like it that much, it was an automatic 4 door and the wheels were so small, they looked like little donuts, but hey. I was privileged enough that I wasn’t going to complain.

Already being in the world of aftermarket parts, after my first modification spree my first plan of attack was a coilover suspension, to fix that gap that almost every single person I know with a modified vehicle complains about. But that wasn’t enough, I went on the local for-sale ads here and I found a set of replica BBS LM rims that were the perfect fitment for my car. Yes, flame me all you want but remember… at this time I was a 17 year old kid who worked a minimum wage job 5 days a week after school.

After I had satisfied myself with the look of the outside of the car I dove into something that I was never really big into and that was engine tuning. I did overbore the 2-stroke motor in my sled after I blew it up but that’s as far as I have ever gone.

I purchased a unitronic tune for my car, a better intake, an intercooler and tapped the charge pipe for a boost gauge. I honestly felt like I was in the Fast & Furious, and looking back now I realize how childish that was! but hey, I had fun and that’s all that matters…

This lead me too a car more serious, and where my true obsession for detailing started.

After High School, I went to College and finished Civil Engineering, it wasn’t something I was interested in and I ended up getting an Apprenticeship with an Electrical company…

During that time, I had sold my old Golf and I purchased the biggest mistake of my life, yet my favorite thing in this world.

A 2011 BMW 135i. I am the second owner of this love/hate relationship and I can honestly say it’s done more harm than good to my wallet, but at the end of the day it’s just something I could never get rid of and I truly believe it’s one of the best non “M” cars BMW has made to date. The car is now Fully Bolt-On and around 400hp.

When I purchased the vehicle from the original owner, you could tell it was neglected. He drove it through the winter and only ever drove it on the highway. The amount of road rash on the front bumper made me want to vomit, I mean it’s that bad. Definite tailgater, your stereotypical BMW driver haha.

He only washed it at the drive thru car washes and the amount of scratches that were on the car when I got it were so bad that it looked like he used a wire brush to scrub the paint down.

After noticing the number of Flaws in the paint I started looking at ways to improve them. I started watching the “DRIVE CLEAN” series and enjoyed Larry’s content, I bought the whole AMMO paint regimen, AMMO leveling fluid and a Griots DA. Blindly doing so and not really confident in the whole paint correction process I turned back to YouTube, and that’s when I found Matt’s channel, it was fairly new at the time and I remember how echoed his voice was from using the camera mic haha! I was one of those commenters who complained lol sorry!

I believe the first video I saw was the “polishing procedure” on his white 911. And he sold me, I could tell how much he cared about every single process and I remember thinking to myself “This guy is on a level of OCD that is just way beyond capabilities.”

The first time I corrected my car, I literally had the GT3 “detailing process” and the “Drive Clean” videos open while I was correcting my car, I didn’t want to mess anything up. I was a beginner at work. I think the whole process took me 3 days, and it was not even close to perfect. I used foam pads, Ammo Leveling fluid and Chemical Guys V38. Definitely had no clue what I was doing. I mean, foam pads on BMW paint to begin with was a mistake now knowing how hard the clear is!

Over the last 3 years I have improved my level of knowledge in the detailing world and I still wouldn’t call myself a detailer but I know the process that works best for me. I’m like a woman who does online shopping only I’m not looking at clothes or purses, I’m looking for the bloody 3” Meguiars MF pads that no longer exist!

My girlfriend thinks I’m a loser because every time I go online I’m constantly reading the OG Facebook or the BMW 1addicts forum. I have developed what I like to call “Detailers OCD” the sign of a scratch on a car makes me sick to my stomach I just want try and fix it!

I think I spend more of my weekends in the garage with my car than I do out with my friends, but it’s the bond that I have developed with my vehicle and the way it looks that gives me satisfaction at the end of the day. And I have all of you guys to thank for that!

So this is my story,

Sorry it was so long but Matt did specify “story” in the subforum section so it’s only fair that I type this novel!

I am unable to upload photos at this time.. But they will come!!

i will keep this as a journal and document everything that is to come in the future, from modifications to detailing!

hope you enjoy!

Supercharged
    Supercharged
    Participant
    • 2 Total Posts

Great story, thanks for sharing!

R9YSO
    R9YSO
    Participant
    • 2 Total Posts
    • Scotland

Comforting to know that we’re all going to have similar but slightly different trends emerging in this thread! Great work.

R9YSO
    Mbair1a
    Mbair1a
    Participant
    • 5 Total Posts

Nice write-up man. Keep contributing!

Acoustix
    Acoustix
    Participant
    • 18 Total Posts

Thanks! There is plenty in store for future posts. Hope to repaint my car in the near future. Previous owner did some damage that a DA and some elbow grease unfortunately can’t fix.

Acoustix
    Acoustix
    Participant
    • 18 Total Posts

How she sits today!

Acoustix
    Acoustix
    Participant
    • 18 Total Posts

SLOWER
    SLOWER
    Participant
    • 17 Total Posts

The modified N54 is such an emotional experience.  You know when you leave the house there’s a pretty high probability of coming home on a flat bed, yet that’s why it is so awesome.

I went from a 2010 335ix to a 2016 340ix and while the 340/B58 is a great car – it lacks the noise, feeling, and overall fun factor of the N54.

• This reply was modified 4 months ago by SLOWER.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Subscribe to OG