Obsessed Forum

The voice of the focused, the organized, and the obsessed

Personal Stuff Your Life Story Born into it…

This topic contains 1 reply, has 1 voice, and was last updated by nickemangione 6 months ago.

• Author
    Nickemangione
    nickemangione
    Participant
    • 2 Total Posts

Like all of the stories I care to share with people this one starts with my grandfather Philip. My grandmother and him were married at 17 years old and had 4 kids by the time they were 21. He was working for his father at that time who was a second generation locksmith from northern Italy. When my grandfather(Fippy as we called him) joined the business they were making $25 to $50 per week. See, his father didn’t practice locksmithing because it paid the bills…he practiced locksmithing because it was a craft he loved that was handed down from his father. With himself and 5 other people to feed my grandfather grabbed another gear and put his foot to the floor. Fast forward 27 years and we arrive in the year 1993, I was only 3 years old at the time but my grandfather has a RACE CAR I would yell. He had personally spec’d and ordered a guards red RS America that year and at the ripe old age of 3 a car guy was born. He had many other cars following the RS like an SL55, 996 Turbo S, CL55, M cars…the whole 9 yards. His dream, like many, was to own a red Ferrari one day and I remember calling him one blisteringly hot summer day when I stumbled upon a copy of car and driver and they had a very small article and 1 singular photo of, what they called, a baby ENZO. The car had all the camouflage covering it but it was the next mid engined v8 Ferrari that was about to be announced…this must have been 2004ish. Fippy had made some connections through business and one day before the car was officially announced, without telling my grandmother, we took a Saturday off and drove about 2 hours to the closest Ferrari dealership to put a deposit on his dream car. I was only 14 at the time so I didn’t realize how big this was for him but looking back on it I can only imagine the excitement. He had never bought a Ferrari before, new or used, but because of his friendships they took a $10,000 deposit on what would eventually be the F430. He had 1 requirement that set him back years…it needed to hate the third pedal and a gated shifter. During the waiting process him and I made a trip to Maranello and the Ferrari factory where we went on a full 3 day tour. It’s everything you can imagine and more. This was the fall of 2005 so we saw F430s and Superamericas coming down the main line and off in a small(couldn’t be more than 2000 square feet) workshop you could see a few FXX’s being completed. Right outside the front door they had a clay sculpture of what we thought was a concept car but it ended up being the 599…it hadn’t been announced yet lol. To this day I haven’t been able to top the trip we took…it remains one of my fondest memories. After a grueling 2.5 year wait he took delivery of his baby…a 2006 F430 in Rosso Scuderia(the F1 color at the time) with Daytona seats in black with red stitching and piping and all the carbon fiber goodies. I can still remember him picking out his options on paper and faxing it back and forth and talking to reps from Ferrari headquarters in NJ because he didn’t own a computer and therefore couldn’t email.The real jewel of that interior and the whole car for that matter wasn’t the woven carbon or the smell of the handcrafted leather upholstery…it was the gated shifter in between the seats. That was the last time Ferrari would mate one of its v8’s to a manual transmission and what a shame that is. That “clink” when you put it into the next gear is worth the slower lap time…I promise. He put over 25,000 miles on that car over a 4 year ownership and it broke his heart many times, clutch went at 2k miles, the factory battery tender wouldn’t keep the battery charged, multiple cracked exhaust manifolds, etc. but despite that he never complained once…even when it was at the dealership for over a month in the middle of the summer…he just chalked it up to the “Ferrari experience”. He was diagnosed with stage 4 colon cancer in February 2009 and the future didn’t look bright. He sold the 430 and bought a 2011 ZR1 as he couldn’t deal with the heartache and down time that came with the Italian car. He beat cancer 3 sewerage times and decided to take some time off from the treatment. He was back on top of the world in 2015 and decided that a Porsche was in order. In summer 2015 he was given an allocation for a 2016 GT3(very small run). He hit a bump in the road when he found out the cancer had spread to his brain…he was placed in a rehab center to regain strength after a bad fall a few weeks later. My last good memory with him took place on a Saturday when I left the lockshop at noon to sneak him in a buttered lobster roll for lunch…I arrived and he was fully dressed sitting up like normal for the first time in weeks. I took him out to the patio and we spent hours talking about his new 911…he wanted carmine red with black led headlights, black wheels and the buckets. The idea of this car sitting in his driveway put a huge smile on his face even when the months ahead looked so bleak. That conversation took place on the last Saturday in August and he passed away on September 15 at 66 years old. He always told me…don’t wait to make your dreams come true…do it now. I’m so happy that he lived that way because if he had waited until the “golden years” to enjoy life he would have never had the chance. He was my best friend first and my grandfather second.

To me, this is why cars are more than just metal…they connect people.

Im currently 27 and I own a 2015 EVO X Final Edition and I’ve had it since December of 2015. It currently has 910 miles on it. It was a car I had to check off my list because it was a high school dream of mine lol. Its covered in xpel from head to toe and that’s topped with Power Lock plus and 845. The car is going under the knife this summer but right now it remains stock except for a cat back, springs, and 20mm spacers. I have a JDP carbon fiber lip and gurney flap waiting to go on and I bought an OEM steering wheel from the dealer and sent it to JP Coachworks to have it recovered in genuine alcantara with red stitching to match the seats. The steering wheel is in a box sitting in my office lol.

please excuse all of my grammatical errors 🔐

Fifth Generation Locksmith (@mangionelocksmiths) Currently on the hunt for a low miles cayman r or S2K CR
    Nickemangione
    nickemangione
    Participant
    • 2 Total Posts

This is a photo of Fippy sitting in front of his garage. It’s the same day I picked up my brand new 2009 civic si. He showed me how to swirl it…err I mean…wax it lol

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

Fifth Generation Locksmith (@mangionelocksmiths) Currently on the hunt for a low miles cayman r or S2K CR

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Subscribe to OG